This information is relevant whether you want somebody to look after your affairs or you think you will need to look after another person’s affairs.

There are many circumstances where arrangements for managing someone’s affairs can be accomplished that fall short of a Lasting Power of Attorney: operating someone’s bank account, for example. An Ordinary Power of Attorney (OPA) may be appropriate to cover specific items over a limited period of time. Because the OPA will only deal with very specific items, it is important that the documentation is carefully prepared. To ensure that this is done correctly, it would be prudent to use a solicitor or experienced advisor, such as may be provided by the Citizen’s Advice Bureau. More details can be read at AgeUK.

Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA)

Before 1st October 2007, an enduring power of attorney was used to manage somebody’s property or financial affairs. If this has already been established, it may still be applicable but it cannot be used to manage someone’s welfare. You can read more about EPAs here.

Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA)

An LPA must be made while the individual concerned is still capable of making their own decisions. Unlike the EPA, an LPA has two parts:

  • A property and financial affairs LPA
  • A personal welfare LPA.

You can use either or both.

You can find an overview of the process here, that will enable you to complete the LPA yourself (it is not essential to use a solicitor). The process basically involves choosing the individual(s) to be the attorney, obtaining and completing the necessary forms and then registering the LPA. At the bottom of the Overview page, you will be taken to the details of how to complete the process.

Guide to lasting power of attorney

Details from the MoneySavingExpert explain the Power of Attorney, why you should set one up and how to go about making one from the link below.