Money Matters

The links below have been selected as the best we could find to provide you with clear information about the topic. They do not constitute an offer of advice from us. We cannot assume responsibility and do not accept liability for any damage or loss which may arise as a result of your reliance upon the content of these websites.

Last checked February 2023

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you.

Bereavement Support Payment

You may be eligible for Bereavement Support Payment if your spouse or civil partner died on or after 6 April 2017

Carer’s Allowance

You can get financial help if you are caring for someone. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.


Chargeback is offered by Visa, Mastercard and Amex credit cards and most debit and charge cards. If you do not receive the goods you bought, you may be able to get your money back. However, chargeback is not legal protection, and card companies offer it at their own discretion.

Child Benefit

Payable to anyone that is responsible for bringing up a child.

Child Tax Credit

One of the benefits replaced, in most cases, by Universal Credit. Check to see if you are one of the exceptional cases.

Council tax reduction

If you are claiming Housing Benefit you can continue to claim for a Council Tax Reduction as part of the same application. However, if you are claiming Universal Credit, you will need to apply for this separately.

Council tax reduction scheme

Credit Card Protection Scheme

Section 75 laws mean your credit card must protect purchases over £100 for free, so if there’s a problem you could get your money back.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for disabled people.

When will I move from DLA to PIP?

Disabled Facilities Grant

A grant may be available from your council if you are disabled and need to make changes to your home.

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance is money for people who have limited capability for work because of their sickness or disability but do not get Statutory Sick Pay.

Can I get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)?

Enduring Power of Attorney

The EPA was replaced with the property and financial affairs lasting power of attorney (LPA) in October 2007.

If you made an EPA that was signed and witnessed before October 2007 you can continue to use it or cancel it and set up a property and financial affairs LPA.

Financial help if you are disabled

A Government site that provides an overview and links to a wide range of disability-related financial support, including benefits, tax credits, payments, grants and concessions.

Free Over 75 TV Licence

The application process for a free TV licence.

Funeral Payments

You may be able to get assistance with funeral costs that you are responsible for if you are on a low income.

Home Energy Efficiency Scheme (HEES)

Offer a range of free, impartial advice and, if you are eligible, a package of free home energy efficiency improvements such as a new boiler, central heating or insulation.

Housing Benefit

Universal Credit has generally, replaced housing benefit but you can check with CCBC website.

Incapacity Benefit

Incapacity Benefit is money for people who cannot work because they are sick or disabled. You cannot make a new claim for Incapacity Benefit. This is because Employment and Support Allowance has replaced Incapacity Benefit.

Income Support (IS)

Universal Credit has replaced Income Support in most cases. This link explains the exceptions.

Lasting Power of Attorney

It may be sensible to allow somebody you trust to look after your affairs. This may be your financial affairs (including your property) or your personal welfare.

Managing Debt

Citizens Advice provides a range of information on debt management and other items about money. There are a number of other charities that provide help and advice about debt; Debt Advice Foundation; National Debtline.

New Pension Freedoms

In 2015, the government passed legislation to allow greater freedom and flexibility with pensions. This article explains the need for caution and where to get advice.

PayPal Buyer Protection

PayPal have their own protection scheme.

Pension Credit (PC)

Pension Credit is a means-tested benefit for people on a low income who have reached the qualifying age.

Changes to some benefits from May 2019

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Provides money for people who need extra care or have problems with mobility (difficulty getting around) because of a disability.

State Pension (SP)

A Government website that provides details about the State Pension eligibility, claims, payments and complaints.

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

Most employees get Statutory Sick Pay, including part-time workers and agency workers and workers on a fixed-term contract. It is paid by your employer.

Universal credit

Universal Credit was introduced in Caerphilly county borough on 5 September 2018. It replaced a number of former benefits. You will need to claim Universal Credit if you are on a low income or out of work. See also Age UK Factsheet

Working Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit is money provided to boost the income of working people who are on a low income. However, Universal Credit is replacing it. This link explains who might still be able to get this benefit.